Northwest Montana is one of the most beautiful and scenic places in the western Rocky Mountains, and if you’re planning a visit here are six things that you should check out. Obviously, most of these things revolve around the outdoors, mostly because Northwest Montana is all about the outdoors. As you can probably imagine, if you don’t like the outdoors, Northwest Montana probably isn’t the place for you. In any case, here are six things to do if you do decide to visit this magical place:
1) Hiking – Northwest Montana is a virtual hikers paradise. There are hiking trails in every direction and Northwest Montana boasts one of the most scenic National Parks in the country, Glacier National Park. Glacier is full of hiking trails and is a hikers paradise in and of itself. Any local outdoors shop can point you to maps and such or simply do a search on the Internet.
2) Camping – With campgrounds littered throughout the area, camping is a favorite activity of many visitors to Northwest Montana. Again, a search on the Internet will point you as many campgrounds as you may need. There are full service campgrounds as well as campgrounds with little more than a fire ring. There’s also plenty of room for you RV. Northwest Montana gets inundated with the RV crowd during the warm months.
3) Fishing – For the angler, there are plenty of opportunities. Whether you’re a stream and river angler or prefer fishing on a lake, Northwest Montana can accommodate you. Flathead Lake is in Northwest Montana, and it boasts one of the best lake trout fisheries in the country. The Area Rivers produce rainbow, cutthroat, brook, and even a few brown trout, with rainbow trout being the most abundant. If you like to fish, Northwest Montana is for you.
4) Water Sports – Whether it be boating, skiing, tubing, swimming, or just relaxing in the water, Northwest Montana can accommodate you. Anyone with a boat will be amazed at the amount of privacy that can be obtained while boating in Northwest Montana. In most areas of the country boating can be a congested mess. That’s not the case in beautiful Northwest Montana. Lakes can be found where you’ll be lucky to see another boat all day.
5) Hunting – For the hunter, Northwest Montana is the place to be as well. Some of the most popular animals to hunt for would include: White tailed deer, Mule deer, Elk, Moose, and Bear just to name a few. Being a very mountainous area, the hunting is obviously better than average. And as with most things in Montana, there is much less hunting pressure than you may be accustomed to.
6) Site Seeing – The sites may not be what you’re used to such as museums, theaters, monuments and such, but being a mountainous area, some absolutely amazing views can be discovered. Whether you’re walking or in a vehicle, views can be found almost everywhere. Some of which can literally bring a tear to your eyes.
These six things should get you started and there are many more things that you will discover when you start poking around. No matter what you decide to do, you will find that Northwest Montana has plenty to keep everyone busy.